Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Very Real Plea for Assistance

The week before Thanksgiving is a time for introspection. What have you done beyond the turkey or donation for homeless and poverty stricken folks in your immediate community. One can only hope that someday, we will make giving thanks the rule instead of the exception in our lives.

I am writing this blog for two purposes. The first is to encourage you to reach out and help someone less fortunate than yourself. If you are in need, reach out a hand during the next few months and I will do what I can to help you....

The second purpose is for those who love art as I do and hopefully many people do. In the Philadelphia area, I am pleased to belong to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and to the Brandywine River Museum. Both worthy institutions... I am looking at losing my own job before the end of the year so perhaps what I am going to propose is only self-interest.

Here it is... Pay two years of museum dues instead of one. As museums across the country have seen their endowments shrinking like my 401k, it becomes increasingly apparent that normally fiscally conservative institutions are going to need more support not less this year. So Brandywine Museum, I paid two years of dues in advance hoping that by this time next year, I've have changed jobs and I am in a position to pay another two years. If not, I still know I will belong to a great organization with an outstanding collection of art.

For the Philadelphia Art Museum, I am going to pay four years dues in advance. Again the same principle that perhaps I can consider it a donation next year and if not, I will belong to the museum for the foreseeable future.

During the next six to twelve months, much will be asked of each of us in terms of sacrifice and hope. I hope that you all have a great Thanksgiving. I hope that you take the time to tell love ones and friends and family that you love them. "I love you, mom!" I hope that you will consider both the people and institutions in need as you make plans for gift giving this holiday season.

Thanks for listening. Phil

No comments: